3. Why is BNP a potentially useful test in veterinary medicine?
BNP, specifically NT-proBNP, has been demonstrated in human medicine to have an extremely important role in the diagnosis and management of heart disease and heart failure:
- It is used to discriminate between a primary respiratory disorder and CHF in patients with respiratory signs.
- It predicts prognosis in patients with CHF.
- It may reflect response to treatment, and so help guide therapy.
- It may be useful to identify asymptomatic (occult) cardiac disease prior to the onset of symptoms.
Review of BNP: